Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Being a witness to history.

I have spent most of my life reading about history it is one of my favorite subject. Each time I have asked myself I wonder what it was like to be there. Well this time I do not have to ask because this time I am here. When the roll call for President went up in the convention center I was not prepared for my emotions to come out, but when the Mississippi delegation cast their vote and the presenter mentioned Fannie Lou Hammer I just started crying. It was not that long ago when Ms. Hammer had to fight her way into the convention and said the famous words " I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. "

Therefore the fact that we nominated today an African American goes beyond the wildest dreams of many of us. I wonder is that what Dr. King meant when he said I have been to the mountain top and I have seen the promised land. Did he know that this was the mountaintop? I am not sure perhaps he knew that the mountain top was in reach.

No comments: